Data journalism and data visualisation
- First, Getstats argues that data is at the heart of all stories - and life in general
- Adrian Holovaty says that news sites need to move away from their story-centric worldview and organise data in different ways - an old post but still relevant.
- And there's five of the Guardian's best data visualisations as featured on journalism.co.uk.
Different ways of telling the story
- Adam Westbrook tells us about his crowdsourced book on digital storytelling.
- Plus, there's Wannabehacks' look at the best in long-form journalism.
- Meanwhile, a BBC survey finds that the UK online population is actively contributing in greater numbers than before.
The business of publishing
- On the money front, Gawker Media's Nick Denton tells Business Insider how he's making money 'beyond the banner ad' via e-commerce, branded content and events.
- Speakers at the PPA conference debate the commercial role of the editor
- There's a look at the value of conversation rate optimisation in understanding which routes through the sales funnel will "yield the biggest wins with the least work".
- And Peter Kirwan asks how can companies attract and keep the best developer talent, and how does the traditional publishing mindset need to change to accommodate them?
Trends in the newsroom
- Try this podcast on how analytics can provide story leads and new angles.
- Lastly, here's some ongoing discussion about how best to organise newsrooms when some journalists are still arguing about the merits of Traditional subbing versus new age hubbing.